Contacting artists - success or failure?

Discussion regarding the site itself. This includes the upcoming Version 7. Also comments about the site, suggestions for V7, questions about XT, problems with your life, and errors — ooh I hates those errors!
theassassin

Re: Contacting artists - success or failure?

Post by theassassin »

Do these bands saying "ask WWE" seriously think a giant entertainment corporation is going to share a track because a fan asks? WWE as a company only cares about harvesting large profit opportunities by catering to the biggest demographics and markets (which theme enthusiasts are not) and do their absolute best to distance themselves from the marks. These bands should just quietly send the track, ask the fan to be discreet with it, and let them enjoy the music. It's not like many fans would even take the time to ask them. And if WWE noticed the track floating around, the band could just deny any knowledge of the leak. WWE wouldn't even notice or do anything about it anyway.

This reminds me of another example from my personal experiences. This isn't wrestling related, but a few years ago I contacted the composer of the soundtrack to an obscure made-for-tv animated kids film version of David Copperfield from 1993. I explained to him that the film, and particularly the soundtrack, held a lot of sentimental value from my childhood and expressed my love for the music, asking if there was any way I could obtain the full isolated tracks for my private collection. I said I was happy to pay a generous amount for them and promised not to distribute them, and if that wasn't possible I even said I would even consider actually arranging to license the soundtrack for commercial release myself, if that was the only way. Finally I pointed out that the company who owns the film rights, NBC, had never released the soundtrack themself, and almost certainly never would due to the obscurity of the piece.

I received one reply, bluntly saying "sorry what do you want the music for?" as if he hadn't read the message properly, and not referencing anything else in my message. I clarified again, and received no reply whatsoever. I also sent a reminder that I had not received a reply about a month later. Again nothing. So that was a huge disappointment for me, not only did I not get the tracks but he didn't even acknowledge my appreciation for his work.

After that I wrote to one of the performers of the music, Julian Lennon (John Lennon's son) and while I did get a reply, all he said was that he had no idea where I could get hold of the music and seemed pretty disinterested. I asked if he could put me in touch with a rep from the studios who might be able to give me more information, but got no response.

Finally I wrote to NBC (the film rights holder) asking if they would look into releasing the soundtrack or letting me license it for release myself. And predictably, I got no response at all.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Leaf wrote:I once asked Sahaj Ticotin about his acknowledgement of "End of Days" and "Smoke and Mirrors" back in late 2011, in which he responded "I sang those tracks, yeah". And that was my only time contacting an artist but I'm very sure that's gonna change sooner or later.
I sent him a message on facebook about his work for WWE. I was surprised about his reply:
FafAngryProphet wrote:
Hernan wrote:
They replied very quicky.
So we'll never get it.
Back in around 2011 when I contacted them, it was possible to convince them after a long conversation. I think they need to trust in the person before sending the song because they could have sanctions from WWE for the release of something they don't own (that's what they told at the time). They probably sent the song to 10 peoples, not more. Plus, what they have is an unmastered multitrack, not the final song used by WWE.
Papa Faf
Site Admin

Post by Papa Faf »

That actually doesn't surprise me. Sahaj has done a LOT of music in and out of wrestling. He sang on a cover of Dio's "The Last In Line" performed by Downstait, he's the lead singer of the band Ra, he's done guest vocals for Crossfade, Action Action, Nate Bailey and Janel Elizabeth, he's produced for Downstait and Ill Nino, he's done mixing for Big Time Rush, he does it all.

So when he says he "did" those songs, he may just mean that he produced them, not that he performed on any of them.
Xylot Themes Admin: March 14th, 2015 - Present
Alex

Post by Alex »

FafAngryProphet wrote:That actually doesn't surprise me. Sahaj has done a LOT of music in and out of wrestling. He sang on a cover of Dio's "The Last In Line" performed by Downstait, he's the lead singer of the band Ra, he's done guest vocals for Crossfade, Action Action, Nate Bailey and Janel Elizabeth, he's produced for Downstait and Ill Nino, he's done mixing for Big Time Rush, he does it all.

So when he says he "did" those songs, he may just mean that he produced them, not that he performed on any of them.
Thanks for the precision then, because I didn't recognize him on any vocals of the Downstait themes. I think my question was badly put, I wanted to ask him what themes he sang.
PaddyDragon23

Post by PaddyDragon23 »

He was simply the Producer for Downstait, that's probably what he meant. I think he also produced "Smoke And Mirrors" & "End Of Days", both Songs don't really sound like him.
Rudo

Post by Rudo »

I contacted E&J once for the Shaq song back in 09. I was adamant on it. Thankfully, he did get back to me with a link to the song which, now looking back, I'm surprised at seeing my childish and immature writing.

TEOL

Post by TEOL »

I contacted White Indian about Kassius Ohno's FCW Theme and they said the same old. If you want it released contact WWE.
PaddyDragon23

Post by PaddyDragon23 »

Jim got back to me, finally. I wasn't expecting a reply after a week. So it does work sometimes, even Jim himself answers questions.
EddieK
Site Admin

Post by EddieK »

PaddyDragon23 wrote:Jim got back to me, finally. I wasn't expecting a reply after a week. So it does work sometimes, even Jim himself answers questions.
Awesome, What did Jim say?
PaddyDragon23

Post by PaddyDragon23 »

EddieK wrote:
PaddyDragon23 wrote:Jim got back to me, finally. I wasn't expecting a reply after a week. So it does work sometimes, even Jim himself answers questions.
I asked him about the Sahaj Ticotin tracks, he said he loves his voice and will try to get the songs released. But this is kinda his standard answer, I replied back and mentioned "Voices" and "It's Too Late" and if they could do another Anthology type release.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I received a reply from him today. Last week I contacted him (in part) about Tell Me A Lie and he said he were thinking about releasing some of his own music (for example, he wrote this song personally, outside of WWE) but he need time for this. That could mean we could see some of his work to be released, including work not-related to WWE.
PaddyDragon23

Post by PaddyDragon23 »

Alexandre wrote:I received a reply from him today. Last week I contacted him (in part) about Tell Me A Lie and he said he were thinking about releasing some of his own music (for example, he wrote this song personally, outside of WWE) but he need time for this. That could mean we could see some of his work to be released, including work not-related to WWE.
Welcome in the club, I guess Jim was busy answering fan mail. :lol:
theassassin

Post by theassassin »

PaddyDragon23 wrote:
EddieK wrote:
I asked him about the Sahaj Ticotin tracks, he said he loves his voice and will try to get the songs released. But this is kinda his standard answer, I replied back and mentioned "Voices" and "It's Too Late" and if they could do another Anthology type release.
Man getting some unreleased CLASSIC WWF themes would be amazing. I also would love to see more classic WCW themes from Jimmy Hart get released, "the music of WCW" was great but barely scratched the surface really.
Alex

Post by Alex »

PaddyDragon23 wrote:
Alexandre wrote:I received a reply from him today. Last week I contacted him (in part) about Tell Me A Lie and he said he were thinking about releasing some of his own music (for example, he wrote this song personally, outside of WWE) but he need time for this. That could mean we could see some of his work to be released, including work not-related to WWE.
Welcome in the club, I guess Jim was busy answering fan mail. :lol:
Lol I think he's always happy when fans contact him about this music. Anyway he's very nice and that's great.
DashingOneHD

Post by DashingOneHD »

This gonna sound dumb but has anybody asked him about the End Of Days releases yet? :lol:
Leaf

Post by Leaf »

DashingOneHD wrote:This gonna sound dumb but has anybody asked him about the End Of Days releases yet? :lol:
Do that for us, please. :lol:
Alex

Post by Alex »

DashingOneHD wrote:This gonna sound dumb but has anybody asked him about the End Of Days releases yet? :lol:
I don't think WWE will release all versions of the song, they already released the last one used by Wade Barrett. Maybe if they re-use one of the songs we could get more chance for a release but I doubt.

Or maybe a limited edition of the full Jim Johnston's work for WWE ? It sounds more like a dream to me lol.
TEOL

Post by TEOL »

Nah, has to be Derringer, Johnston, Hart and CFO$ or it would be a slap dash limited release.
PaddyDragon23

Post by PaddyDragon23 »

I suggested another Anthology type release, but other people did that before. Jim won't have any control about the releases in the future.
DashingOneHD

Post by DashingOneHD »

There's a error on the main site, someone change the singer of Smoke & Mirrors (V2) and End of Days (V5) to Mark Holman, to clarify Mark Holman only sang Anything not those two, yeah, they sound similar, but, we have already confirmed that Sahaj Ticotin sang Smoke & Mirrors (V2) and End of Days (V5), so i think someone it's a bit confused, and i think it should be changed the main site info.