Contacting artists - success or failure?

Discussion regarding the site itself. This includes the upcoming Version 7. Also comments about the site, suggestions for V7, questions about XT, problems with your life, and errors — ooh I hates those errors!
Leaf

Contacting artists - success or failure?

Post by Leaf »

Sometimes asking artists about wrestling themes doesn't result really well, but has it always been like that?
I want to know if there were occasions were asking artists of wrestling themes ended up with you obtaining a track, or maybe even some confidential information.

I know two examples, "All About The Power" from S-Preme and "It's Too Late" from Sahaj Ticotin from a WWE Studios film. Has there been any other occasions that this has happened?
And also, if you were the ones contacting them, share the story of success, of failure if things didn't work out well.

I once asked Sahaj Ticotin about his acknowledgement of "End of Days" and "Smoke and Mirrors" back in late 2011, in which he responded "I sang those tracks, yeah". And that was my only time contacting an artist but I'm very sure that's gonna change sooner or later.

(Jim Johnston counts too, don't worry)
theassassin

Re: Contacting artists - success or failure?

Post by theassassin »

Back in the early 2000s I made a few attempts to contact Jim Johnston to ask questions about the NWO voice quotes, mentioning that I was a theming fan and hinting that I'd love to have isolated versions of the NWO Voice sound effects. None of my messages (tried several different ways) received any reply. Which while not surprising considering WWE's brick wall policy on talking to fans was still pretty disappointing at the time.

On a side note, I now know that the person who did the NWO voice quotes for WCW was Neal Pruitt. DDP did a short interview with him a couple of years ago - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM82E2lPRxc . I actually found out the guy's name by myself though, way before this video was posted.
PaddyDragon23

Post by PaddyDragon23 »

Sahaj did "End of Days" and "Smoke And Mirrors"?
Leaf

Post by Leaf »

PaddyDragon23 wrote:Sahaj did "End of Days" and "Smoke And Mirrors"?
He did vocals for both songs, yes. I contacted him on Facebook in late 2011 and he responded. I wish I had the screenshot I saved that day but my old PC is now in the grave!
PaddyDragon23

Post by PaddyDragon23 »

So did he do the 2nd "Smoke And Mirrors" then? Which sounds like the same guy who did the 5th "End of Days".

Artist giving out Songs to Fans has happened way more times then that.

Mercy Fall send "Unstoppable" to K4P, someone on YouTube got "Crank the Walls Down" from a Member of Maylene & The Sons of Disaster, we had "Broken Dreams" before it was released on iTunes, Evan Jones gave people "We About To Get Raw".
EddieK
Site Admin

Post by EddieK »

Every time I've messaged Kyle Morrison (Guy that did the first version of "Don't Question My Heart"), I get a reply. I've got “Open The Gates” (Instrumental) by Triphon straight from him.
No shocker? He doesn't have his version of "Don't Question My Heart".
Leaf

Post by Leaf »

PaddyDragon23 wrote:So did he do the 2nd "Smoke And Mirrors" then? Which sounds like the same guy who did the 5th "End of Days".
Yes, forgot to say that, it was the 2nd version of "Smoke and Mirrors".
PaddyDragon23

Post by PaddyDragon23 »

Leaf wrote:
PaddyDragon23 wrote:So did he do the 2nd "Smoke And Mirrors" then? Which sounds like the same guy who did the 5th "End of Days".
Yes, forgot to say that, it was the 2nd version of "Smoke and Mirrors".
Then the "End Of Days" version would be the one released on iTunes, aka the 5th one. The voice sounds similiar and it's the only one with no confirmed artist.
DashingOneHD

Post by DashingOneHD »

I think Sahaj sings Anything too, sounds very similar the voice, comparing with End Of Days and Smoke & Mirrors.
Leaf

Post by Leaf »

DashingOneHD wrote:I think Sahaj sings Anything too, sounds very similar the voice, comparing with End Of Days and Smoke & Mirrors.
I hear a resemblence yes, and to me it's more close to Sahaj's "She Looks Good" vocals. Better ask him about it.
PaddyDragon23

Post by PaddyDragon23 »

Leaf wrote:
DashingOneHD wrote:I think Sahaj sings Anything too, sounds very similar the voice, comparing with End Of Days and Smoke & Mirrors.
I hear a resemblence yes, and to me it's more close to Sahaj's "She Looks Good" vocals. Better ask him about it.
I asked Jim about it, I hope he replies to confirm that.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Contacting Jim Johnston was a success only with short messages with good wording, probably because he receive a lot of messages. Whatever, he's very nice with the fans and seems to be a simple man.

I've got positive answers from S-Preme, Sahaj Ticotin, The Swaggerin' Growlers, Age Against The Machine.

I got reply from Kyle Morrison, Emphatics, Ron Underwood and some others but they were not allowed to release/or not in possession of/ the work they did for WWE.

There was a bunch of failures too. For example, I never got replies from Josh Ocean (TVTV) or Victor Khodadad...
PaddyDragon23

Post by PaddyDragon23 »

He replied to me once and that was a pretty long E-mail actually, it just depends on your timing.
AfroOod

Post by AfroOod »

theassassin wrote:Back in the early 2000s I made a few attempts to contact Jim Johnston to ask questions about the NWO voice quotes, mentioning that I was a theming fan and hinting that I'd love to have isolated versions of the NWO Voice sound effects. None of my messages (tried several different ways) received any reply. Which while not surprising considering WWE's brick wall policy on talking to fans was still pretty disappointing at the time.

On a side note, I now know that the person who did the NWO voice quotes for WCW was Neal Pruitt. DDP did a short interview with him a couple of years ago - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM82E2lPRxc . I actually found out the guy's name by myself though, way before this video was posted.
I don't think saying you are a theme fan will help. Say you are a fan of his music and leave it at that.
Brett

Post by Brett »

I actually contacted CFO$ about that last year, being as they produced it. The vocalist is Mark Holman, not Sahaj.
Papa Faf
Site Admin

Post by Papa Faf »

Alexandre wrote: I've got positive answers from S-Preme, Sahaj Ticotin, The Swaggerin' Growlers, Age Against The Machine.
Someone should ask them for the theme they did for Finlay. That's one of my most-wanted themes.
Xylot Themes Admin: March 14th, 2015 - Present
The Funker
Site Admin

Post by The Funker »

I've got a couple of tracks from Kenny Pickett for ROH (Cheeseburger's A Cheeseburger In ROH, and Finlay's Irish Rock). I got Hot Skates from Crushpile, (Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team's 2nd ROH). I also got some infro from Kenny Pickett on the theme that Team ROH used in Chikara. (“Tonight (She Wont Come Fast Enough)” by Kenny Pickett).
DashingOneHD

Post by DashingOneHD »

Brett wrote:
I actually contacted CFO$ about that last year, being as they produced it. The vocalist is Mark Holman, not Sahaj.
:D Awesome, did they told you more singers of other songs? :O
Hernan

Post by Hernan »

FafAngryProphet wrote:
Alexandre wrote: I've got positive answers from S-Preme, Sahaj Ticotin, The Swaggerin' Growlers, Age Against The Machine.
Someone should ask them for the theme they did for Finlay. That's one of my most-wanted themes.
They replied very quicky.
"Every theme count will be on the line"
Also known as DaBrennOfficial (March 12, 2014 - August 22, 2014)

Theme Technician (March 11th, 2015 - September 2nd, 2018)
Papa Faf
Site Admin

Post by Papa Faf »

Hernan wrote:
They replied very quicky.
So we'll never get it.

Xylot Themes Admin: March 14th, 2015 - Present