Is there 2 different PS1 WWF SmackDown! revisions

Discussion regarding the site itself. This includes the upcoming Version 7. Also comments about the site, suggestions for V7, questions about XT, problems with your life, and errors — ooh I hates those errors!
TheImpCaiman

Is there 2 different PS1 WWF SmackDown! revisions

Post by TheImpCaiman »

Not sure where this topic goes but I've been building my own video game database of wrestling music and themes in Excel. Getting to WWF SmackDown! I noticed that my video game and the files I have from that game something odd jumps out and it is confused me a lot. It is with the Undertaker's theme from that game. On my copy which is where I obtained my files his theme it the theme from WWE: The Music, Vol. 4 / Undertaker - From the Vault; it is Dark Side V2 (Ministry of Darkness) After this confusing thing I've played as Undertaker on the game through my PSX and every time he enters it is to the same theme. Even the unlocked Paul Bearer has the same theme.

On the video game section someone stated it was Dark Side V2 (Lord of Darkness) which is what kind of started me playing the game again. Anyway, looking at his video link and many others on YouTube they all play Dark Side V2 (Lord of Darkness)? So now I'm scratching my head and wondering if the original SmackDown! game on PSX had different revisions of discs? Mortal Kombat Trilogy on PSX had a debut release and then a Greatest Hits re-release and the Greatest Hits was not only a re-release but the game was updated by the developers. So there are 2 different revisions of the PSX game Mortal Kombat Trilogy. My question is, is there a way to find out how many disc based or cartridge based games have different versions of the same game on the same platform? Right now I'm almost convinced there are for SmackDown! so in my list I'm adding both Undertaker themes and listing in the notes section that there may be revision based.
Christopher

Re: Is there 2 different PS1 WWF SmackDown! revisions

Post by Christopher »

There can be earlier beta versions and different builds of games, but they usually aren't much different if at all. As we know Attitude's beta had some music differences, but many other games don't.

I replied as a comment on the game page, but I'll copy it here:

There are 2 sets of audio you can rip from these games: the audio from the XA files (which contain most of the in-game BGMs and themes used for exits, including Undertaker's Vol. 4 theme), and then the audio from the entrance videos themselves (for most superstars they're the same themes, but in the case of Undertaker his uses "Lord of Darkness").

I don't believe there are any more cases like that in this game, but in SmackDown! 2 DX has the 2000 version for their entrance and the original 1997 version for their exits.

I got rid of my own game rips a while back (I've been drastically reducing my theming collection) but was able to quickly re-rip these files for you.

Entrance video rip: https://app.box.com/s/al29ygmpknv1tent3sds8yvuiq0w7dqo

XA file rip: https://app.box.com/s/isisgazlzzy9t93968y3zi2djm7gz48h
The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

Chris wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 10:57 pm There can be earlier beta versions and different builds of games, but they usually aren't much different if at all. As we know Attitude's beta had some music differences, but many other games don't.

I replied as a comment on the game page, but I'll copy it here:

There are 2 sets of audio you can rip from these games: the audio from the XA files (which contain most of the in-game BGMs and themes used for exits, including Undertaker's Vol. 4 theme), and then the audio from the entrance videos themselves (for most superstars they're the same themes, but in the case of Undertaker his uses "Lord of Darkness").

I don't believe there are any more cases like that in this game, but in SmackDown! 2 DX has the 2000 version for their entrance and the original 1997 version for their exits.

I got rid of my own game rips a while back (I've been drastically reducing my theming collection) but was able to quickly re-rip these files for you.

Entrance video rip: https://app.box.com/s/al29ygmpknv1tent3sds8yvuiq0w7dqo

XA file rip: https://app.box.com/s/isisgazlzzy9t93968y3zi2djm7gz48h
Great piece of knowledge. Thanks
Facebook.com/FranchiseBrianSire
Youtube.com/@FranchiseBrianSire
TheImpCaiman

Post by TheImpCaiman »

That helps a little. I knew about the DX one in SmackDown!2 because when I played it compared to the ripped files I didn't get the 2000 version so I must have either ripped the wrong files for that one or not all of them.

I do have the Dreamcast and PSX version of WWF Attitude and Dreamcast still contains the extra Faarooq theme. It was also supposedly on the beta release of the PSX version of the game but I have never found a copy if it even exists to the public to try.

As far as my database I'll update that info on there too because I didn't know. Thank you too for sharing.