Hello (or, V7 Stuff!)

Discussion regarding the site itself. This includes the upcoming Version 7. Also comments about the site, suggestions for V7, questions about XT, problems with your life, and errors — ooh I hates those errors!
Y2Jayne

Re: Hello (or, V7 Stuff!)

Post by Y2Jayne »

What's up with the banner ?
The Fiend

Post by The Fiend »

Any chance of a checklist feature in the new update? It'd be nice if when taking a break from theming, you just come back here and see names/themes highlighted that aren't in your collection. Much more useful than just browsing through the Theme Updates tab.
EddieK
Site Admin

Post by EddieK »

The Fiend wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 11:17 am Any chance of a checklist feature in the new update? It'd be nice if when taking a break from theming, you just come back here and see names/themes highlighted that aren't in your collection. Much more useful than just browsing through the Theme Updates tab.
That would be great honestly. A "where you last left off" feature would be perfect.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I agree. Something like on the forums here, where you can go to "New posts" to see what was posted since you were last on, and in those topics the new posts are marked so you know exactly where you left off (just like they were here, since I've been offline since last weekend).
The Chosen One

Post by The Chosen One »

Export companies to CSV or XLS or some other format?
TheImpCaiman

Post by TheImpCaiman »

Not sure if this has been brought up yet but is there a way to have an Edit button to edit the comments you make on the superstars page comments? Sometimes I'll misword something or say something wrong and need to edit what I said and the quickest way so far is to copy what I initially posted, delete the post, then paste and edit before posting the comment. I thought an Edit button for the comments section would be easier way to do this so I thought I'd ask.

Another thing I believe was brought up by another user but a system for users to check off themes they own?
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

TheImpCaiman wrote: May 31st, 2022, 10:58 am Not sure if this has been brought up yet but is there a way to have an Edit button to edit the comments you make on the superstars page comments? Sometimes I'll misword something or say something wrong and need to edit what I said and the quickest way so far is to copy what I initially posted, delete the post, then paste and edit before posting the comment. I thought an Edit button for the comments section would be easier way to do this so I thought I'd ask.

Another thing I believe was brought up by another user but a system for users to check off themes they own?
I like the idea of an edit button for comments, as I often find myself wanting to make minor edits that I didn't catch reading it back before posting, or I will want to add new info/links without double posting. An edit button would make that easier.

The only issue I can see with checking off themes is, because of how the site currently functions behind-the-scences, every entry on every page is a unique entry where the information is manually entered each time. Even with linked themes, the information has to be manually entered into each entry. So for example, if you checked off having the original DX theme it wouldn't then show that same check on every other count that has the song as there isn't any actual direct link between entries (if that makes sense). Similarly, for themes like "Astros" used by a dozen different people with no link, you would then have to go into each count and check off each one manually.

It would be a neat feature to have in the updated site that's coming soon, but knowing how the site currently functions I don't think it would be easily implemented, and even if it was incorrect links or inconsistency in info between entries would still likely bungle what you saw on your end in terms of what you do/don't have.
IAmNeomic

Post by IAmNeomic »

My only gripe with the current layout is listing the artists when there's an artist line in the info panels. It just makes some of the listings kind of cluttered when there's multiple artists on one song, like "King Darkness" having Def Rebel, Jim Johnston, Tommy Vext, and Jimi Bell.

But yeah, I do like the idea of having a checkbox system in V7, if it ever comes out. I have multiple copies of themes around my library anyways, so I wouldn't really mind having to check off stuff like "Astros", since I would wanna make sure I have it in everyone's different folders and such anyways.
The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

Anyone else have this same banner uptop a the time?

Facebook.com/FranchiseBrianSire
Youtube.com/@FranchiseBrianSire
ConchairtoRecords

Post by ConchairtoRecords »

Only on mobile, not on my desktop
Conchairto Records: wrestling theme record label
Bandcamp | Facebook

Pro Wrestling EAST: Cambridge, UK wrestling promotion
Website | Youtube | Facebook
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

IAmNeomic wrote: August 24th, 2022, 3:28 pm But yeah, I do like the idea of having a checkbox system in V7, if it ever comes out. I have multiple copies of themes around my library anyways, so I wouldn't really mind having to check off stuff like "Astros", since I would wanna make sure I have it in everyone's different folders and such anyways.
Yeah, that makes sense. I personally don't do "counts" so I would lean towards wanting to tick once and have it apply site-wide, but maybe there could hypothetically be a way to have both options? I know zilch about website development, so I don't know if it's even possible, but I imagine something like ticking a theme and being able to choose if you want that theme marked site-wide or only on that count. That way each person can choose what works best for them.
bubbafan2

Post by bubbafan2 »

IAmNeomic wrote: August 24th, 2022, 3:28 pm My only gripe with the current layout is listing the artists when there's an artist line in the info panels. It just makes some of the listings kind of cluttered when there's multiple artists on one song, like "King Darkness" having Def Rebel, Jim Johnston, Tommy Vext, and Jimi Bell.

But yeah, I do like the idea of having a checkbox system in V7, if it ever comes out. I have multiple copies of themes around my library anyways, so I wouldn't really mind having to check off stuff like "Astros", since I would wanna make sure I have it in everyone's different folders and such anyways.
Maybe there could be separate fields for “Artist” and “Featuring”. Considering how many entries have featured artists, it might be worth adding so things don’t get so cluttered.

Personally, I think it would be cool to see something specifying exactly how the featured artists are contributing, something like “Featuring: Jimi Bell (guitar), Tommy Vext (vocals), etc. Although that would probably be a LOT of work.
The Franchise wrote: August 24th, 2022, 3:49 pm Anyone else have this same banner uptop a the time?
I see this on mobile too. Never understood what it is.
IAmNeomic

Post by IAmNeomic »

Might be worth using ChatGPT to potentially speed up the process of V7, or maybe doing like a 6.5.

It's an AI chat bit that understands all programming languages, and people are starting to use it a lot for building websites, apps, games, etc. super quickly.
EddieK
Site Admin

Post by EddieK »

IAmNeomic wrote: April 12th, 2023, 3:54 am Might be worth using ChatGPT to potentially speed up the process of V7, or maybe doing like a 6.5.

It's an AI chat bit that understands all programming languages, and people are starting to use it a lot for building websites, apps, games, etc. super quickly.
I honestly forgot about V7 until your post. :|
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

V7 feedback from the preview Terran posted on the shoutbox (https://codepen.io/terranrich/full/MWzBreq):

I work in IT and do a lot of QA and user testing, so I always look at functionality over form. Something can look great but can be a complete pain to navigate or view.

A few other important things I've noted from the preview:
1- Please add an option in preferences to hide/disable the BIO section by default, since personally I'm just coming there to look at the theme counts. It also pushes the theme count further down the page.

Where does the Bio come from? If they need to be hand made that seems like an insane amount of work that honestly doesn't need to be done, especially if it's just like coming from Wikipedia or something.

2- Please keep theme counts of wrestlers who wrestle under multiple gimmicks in a single company under a single entry and listing. The example being X-Pac. The old version includes his time as 123 Kid, as it should. Having to search individually for different gimmicks will be an incredible pain and extra effort. Plus I'd think it would save an enormous amount of work for you having to create new pages.

3- As you already probably know, be very wary of "additions creep". Trying to get the best version of something is worthless if it never ends up getting released. The suggestion is to get the base major version framework and workflow planned out and tested and release that. Then work on small revisions that add more functionality and refinements.

Feel free to reach out.
Last edited by GodzFire on August 20th, 2023, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

GodzFire wrote: August 15th, 2023, 2:49 pm 1- Please add an option in preferences to hide/disable the BIO section by default, since personally I'm just coming there to look at the theme counts. It also pushes the theme count further down the page.

2- Please keep theme counts of wrestlers who wrestle under multiple gimmicks in a single company under a single entry and listing. The example being X-Pac. The old version includes his time as 123 Kid, as it should. Having to search individually for different gimmicks will be an incredible pain and extra effort. Plus I'd think it would save an enormous amount of work for you having to create new pages.
I fully agree with both of these points.

I have no issues with a bio section, but I come to Xylot Themes for, well, the themes! I understand wanting to start also focusing on other data, but I think the main focus should always be on the themes with anything else under its own tab. The first page could be the theme count, and then have a bio, title history, etc. under different tabs.

I also hope that there is a way to see all of someone's themes, regardless of gimmick or company, on one page. If the idea is each wrestler has their own page which is further broken up by gimmicks and companies, I think a way to also see them all together would be nice. Perhaps even a way to specifically select what is seen. I could opt to see all of Mick Foley's themes regardless of gimmick or company, or I could choose to see just his themes as Cactus Jack regardless of company (WWF, WCW, ECW, Japan, etc.), or even just his WWE themes under the name Mankind. I don't know how easy, or even possible, this would be to implement, but I think it would be helpful.
Papa Faf
Site Admin

Post by Papa Faf »

GodzFire wrote: August 15th, 2023, 2:49 pm V7 feedback from the preview Terran posted on the shoutbox:

I work in IT and do a lot of QA and user testing, so I always look at functionality over form. Something can look great but can be a complete pain to navigate or view.

1- Please add an option in preferences to hide/disable the BIO section by default, since personally I'm just coming there to look at the theme counts. It also pushes the theme count further down the page.

Where does the Bio come from? If they need to be hand made that seems like an insane amount of work that honestly doesn't need to be done, especially if it's just like coming from Wikipedia or something.

3- As you already probably know, be very wary of "additions creep". Trying to get the best version of something is worthless if it never ends up getting released. The suggestion is to get the base major version framework and workflow planned out and tested and release that. Then work on small revisions that add more functionality and refinements.

Feel free to reach out.
I believe the intention of the bio section is just for information, not a description like Wikipedia. So it would have things like real name, birthday, hometown, finishing move, etc.
Xylot Themes Admin: March 14th, 2015 - Present
The Fiend

Post by The Fiend »

I would love a feature for the Advanced Search to be able to search by Year and Event too.

It would be extremely helpful if you've taken a break from collecting for a few months to be able to say search 2023 and see all the listings used from this year.

And searching by events, if I searched WrestleMania and every theme first used at a WrestleMania pops up.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

The Fiend wrote: August 16th, 2023, 12:45 pm I would love a feature for the Advanced Search to be able to search by Year and Event too.

It would be extremely helpful if you've taken a break from collecting for a few months to be able to say search 2023 and see all the listings used from this year.

And searching by events, if I searched WrestleMania and every theme first used at a WrestleMania pops up.
Yes! And production libraries, too.

I think it would also be neat to have the search be able to exclude terms as well. If you search up "Uncaged X" in the album field, for example, you'd also get results that include every other Uncaged album with an X in it of which there are 6.
TerranRich
Site Admin

Post by TerranRich »

GodzFire wrote: August 15th, 2023, 2:49 pm V7 feedback from the preview Terran posted on the shoutbox:

Feel free to reach out.
You're in QA? Perfect! I might rely on you for helping me a bit in getting V7 out the door.

1 - That's already something I had in mind, I just couldn't communicate it well in the CodePen link I sent out ([https://codepen.io/terranrich/pen/MWzBreq]which you can find here, by the way[/url]). But I'm actually thinking of having it collapsed by default, and let uses opt IN to having it expanded by default. Just best UX practice I think.

I just copied the Bio text from Wikipedia, and added some "links" to show how it could look, to add connectivity between pages throughout the site.

2 - Yep! So that's the plan, I was only showing X-Pac's as an example. I'm going to add a feature (top priority) where you can show all themes for any given Person (i.e. Sean Waltman), that spans their gimmicks for any specified Organization. So, if you wanted all of Waltman's themes as 1-2-3 Kid, then X-Pac, you could do that. Or, if you wanted to just show all of the themes for a person, chronologically, you can do so. So you can also have it show any themes he used in gimmicks before 1-2-3 Kid, then Kid, Syxx, X-Pac, X, whatever order they come in after, I don't quite remember off-hand. But you get the point. I will probably have it so that the By Organization view is the default, with the other options to show All (for that person), or By Gimmick (chronologically, as shown in the preview with the arrows).

Also, as suggested/reminded by Jackson in the Shoutbox, there will be links to any other teams/stables they were in, just as the listing pages for those teams/stables will have links to each member. I'm writing a blog post at the moment that goes into more detail over how the site works internally.

3 - Oh trust me, I get it. I'm working on the MVP (minimally viable project) right now, just themes, and only for wrestlers/teams/stable at the moment. I'm considering using Trello and some kind of versioning system (7.0.0 e.g.), as well as changelogs. I am NOT an organized person by any means, but my fiancée is, so I'm hoping to absorb some of that energy lol

And I will definitely reach out. If you'd like, you can be an admin for V7 along with the current ones. Not sure if you're familiar with Drupal, but that's what V7 runs on.

Thank you, honestly, for the feedback. We're of the same mind here, which is great.
TerranRichThe Nerdiest Player in the Game