Jim Johnston Lucha Libre Online on today's WWE music being bad

This is the place where I will post links to news, updates, lists, blogs, and more concerning Xylot Themes.
Leaf

Re: Jim Johnston Lucha Libre Online on today's WWE music being bad

Post by Leaf »

Chris wrote: April 28th, 2021, 11:20 am
Jerichoholic wrote: April 28th, 2021, 2:43 am https://youtu.be/SbJJWra5B88

I hope Rukus isn't too hurt about Jim calling his work generic.
I haven't listened to the interview, but I presume it's the same sort of JJ interview as normal, talking about the same classic themes while blasting today's music?
It really felt really biased from CVV's side, who admittedly said Jim was one of his childhood idols. Jim Johnston was very unreasonably critical of others' works, including RUKUS and CFO$ (I assume he doesn't know def rebel exist and that CFO$ are still employed based on his accounts about being pushed out of the company and critics about the music). His view on why WWE and other promotions fail is very, VERY short-sighted as he fully believes the reason for it is the lack of musical polish, which not only I disagree as it reads like "everything was better when I made their music" between the lines, but also there's nothing that backs that thought from backstage or the financial reports, so really he got this idea out of his ass. Really abysmal interview altogether.
EddieK
Site Admin

Post by EddieK »

Leaf wrote: April 28th, 2021, 6:57 am
EddieK wrote: April 28th, 2021, 3:46 am
Jerichoholic wrote: April 28th, 2021, 2:43 am https://youtu.be/SbJJWra5B88

I hope Rukus isn't too hurt about Jim calling his work generic.
You wanna talk about a generic theme? Mustafa Ali's current theme like what is that supposed to be? It's so bad.
Move on.
This was my first time mentioning this on here, but okay.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Thanks for the summaries, Jerichoholic and Leaf. Pretty much what I expected it would be.
Jerichoholic

Post by Jerichoholic »

EddieK wrote: April 28th, 2021, 1:25 pm This was my first time mentioning this on here, but okay.
Maybe Leaf mistook you for an evil CFO$ loop.
NMMan

Post by NMMan »

Leaf wrote: April 28th, 2021, 11:35 am It really felt really biased from CVV's side, who admittedly said Jim was one of his childhood idols. Jim Johnston was very unreasonably critical of others' works, including RUKUS and CFO$ (I assume he doesn't know def rebel exist and that CFO$ are still employed based on his accounts about being pushed out of the company and critics about the music). His view on why WWE and other promotions fail is very, VERY short-sighted as he fully believes the reason for it is the lack of musical polish, which not only I disagree as it reads like "everything was better when I made their music" between the lines, but also there's nothing that backs that thought from backstage or the financial reports, so really he got this idea out of his ass. Really abysmal interview altogether.
I loved the interview and thought Jim made a lot of valid points...wrestling music in general is far less character-driven and memorable than it used to be, but it's because the approach now is totally different. Jim is a traditional composer, who looks at themes as the musical score for a given wrestler, whereas CFO$/def rebel/Mikey Rukus make more contemporary-sounding music. It's just two different ways of looking at creating art. But I personally think that Jim's approach is far more memorable and effective, overall.
No one in WWE can hold a candle to what I can do, inside these FOUR ROPES.
acousticequalizer

Post by acousticequalizer »

Pretty sure this is Rukus' response

https://twitter.com/MikeyRukus/status/1 ... 7968710656
Jerichoholic

Post by Jerichoholic »

As expected, he remains polite and classy no matter what.
I do think he has a lot to learn about the job but I'm sure he will be fine.
TEOL

Post by TEOL »

Is how I get like when I'm irate at people being against me and Jim Johnston talking about others similar to that at all though?

You now say he is Asperger's like me but is he really?
Leaf

Post by Leaf »

TEOL wrote: June 9th, 2021, 2:14 pm Is how I get like when I'm irate at people being against me and Jim Johnston talking about others similar to that at all though?

You now say he is Asperger's like me but is he really?
The probability is high. I was diagnosed with Asperger's last month and looking on his behavioural history from him and other sources, it's a high possibility he's neurodivergent.
acousticequalizer

Post by acousticequalizer »

https://twitter.com/THEVinceRusso/statu ... 7376217090

Don't think it really warranted its own thread but Jim made a theme for Russo's podcast. Hopefully he posts the full thing somewhere or on his youtube. If I had to guess it'll be based on Iron Man like his WCW theme. Russo also used that as his intro song on his original radio show in the early 90s.