Jim Johnston Lucha Libre Online on today's WWE music being bad

This is the place where I will post links to news, updates, lists, blogs, and more concerning Xylot Themes.
TheImpCaiman

Re: Jim Johnston Lucha Libre Online on today's WWE music being bad

Post by TheImpCaiman »

That is cool how composers support one another no matter who they work for. Same goes for wrestlers who work for different promotions but also continue to support one another or stay close friends it they are.

Funkster also makes a good point. There is no crowd on TV today and without the crowd popping for a certain theme or when they hear the start of a theme it does tend to make the current themes from def rebel, which have been phenomenal in WWE to get a good reaction. In the past when you heard the glass break for Austin everyone would pop loud before the theme would start. Undertaker's bell, DX's Are You Ready, Wolfpac's wolf howl or any old music certain fans would pop the moment they heard the first effect or note because they were so involved with the wrestler or group.

So maybe the fans being absent today have a play on why some of the awesome current themes aren't getting the popularity they deserve?
Jerichoholic

Post by Jerichoholic »

ConchairtoRecords wrote: March 10th, 2021, 6:23 am
Jerichoholic wrote: March 9th, 2021, 5:00 pm
ConchairtoRecords wrote: March 9th, 2021, 3:04 pm Most likely in response to this, Mikey Rukus has been Tweeting really positive things to and about Anthony Mirabella from Def Rebel
I posted the link a little earlier on the thread.
My apologies, I hadn't seen that.

I like the fact that - even though they work for different companies and, for all we know, don't actually know each other in the real world - Mikey and Bella have a respect for each other as artists.
Mike is an extremely nice person. He's really cool with everybody, the fans AND the colleagues. I don't think I've ever read anything negative from him on his Twitter. That makes me enjoy his music a little more, even though I think he needs to improve a lot.
Jerichoholic

Post by Jerichoholic »

ConchairtoRecords

Post by ConchairtoRecords »

Urgh, those comments.

And by that, I mean the people replying "but the music is bad now".
Conchairto Records: wrestling theme record label
Bandcamp | Facebook

Pro Wrestling EAST: Cambridge, UK wrestling promotion
Website | Youtube | Facebook
Chris

Post by Chris »

That Tweet is actually the last of a string of Tweets that started with this one, in reply to a fan:

https://twitter.com/MikeyRukus/status/1 ... 0304672768
NMMan

Post by NMMan »

ConchairtoRecords wrote: March 15th, 2021, 11:39 am Urgh, those comments.

Today's theme music in WWE may not be "bad", but is it as synonymous with the characters and as memorable overall, as it once was? Objectively, no.

But that's also not necessarily the fault of CFO$ or def rebel, it's more due to the change in WWE's philosophy and process of creating its entrance themes.
No one in WWE can hold a candle to what I can do, inside these FOUR ROPES.
Ravenheart

Post by Ravenheart »

I will say that Jim had a vision that seems to be not there today most of the time. I'm talking song writing, composition and ofc the classic wrestling "zinger" at the start of the song. Not every theme from him was perfect or even good, but the man has done this for 30 years and he has a right to speak his mind.

That being said, I like a lot of AEWs themes, a handful of CFO$ themes and barely any def rebel stuff (but that's because my interest in WWE programming is exceedingly low these days).
TheImpCaiman

Post by TheImpCaiman »

NMMan wrote: March 15th, 2021, 12:18 pm
ConchairtoRecords wrote: March 15th, 2021, 11:39 am Urgh, those comments.

Today's theme music in WWE may not be "bad", but is it as synonymous with the characters and as memorable overall, as it once was? Objectively, no.

But that's also not necessarily the fault of CFO$ or def rebel, it's more due to the change in WWE's philosophy and process of creating its entrance themes.
WWE creative does have to take part of the blame too. Unless they come up with interesting character or angles then the music won't be a defining as it used to be in the past. The wrestlers also need to take a small part of blame as well. If you aren't into your gimmick, character or angle or even interested in something new or being over the top then how can any composer write a theme to support you when you yourself aren't trying to get over. The blame just isn't the music or composers it is a mixture of everything in every promotion really.
Chris

Post by Chris »

In the end, I think it comes down to how WWE wants to present their product. Jim Johnston focused primarily on wrestling music and film scores for 3+ decades while CFO$ and def rebel have done a lot of work for major record labels and companies producing more mainstream music. The WWE product and their production has evolved, and their music tastes have evolved with it. They don't actually give a rat's ass what WE want or like (despite what they may want you to believe); their focus is on presenting their product in a specific way to try and have the biggest mass appeal and ultimately grow their audience (because it's all about the dolla dolla bills, y'all). In other words, they did what they think is best for business.
TheImpCaiman

Post by TheImpCaiman »

Very nicely said.
TEOL

Post by TEOL »

Agree to some extent as I don't like mainstream samey music anymore anyway it's all Rap, Lounge, R&B, Camp Rock like your Jonas Brothers who started it off in their own Camp Rock Movie and One Direction the UK version which are not any good compared to real rock and the Bingo Hall Techno Music which has nothing on the 80s or early 90s rave it's closest genre.

But themes are not mainstream music they cross the boundaries sometimes and come out a lot better if it fits the persona that is which a lot last year failed to do but it might be just heavy workloads and a lot of the generic shit got replaced earlier this year so they fixed most of it.
commitajit

Post by commitajit »

I agree with Jim Johnston sir, because i like his all music composition by heart.
I will give Jim 10 out of 10 for every composition overall.
After Jim, i like CFO$ Musics (not all) so i will give 9 out of 10
After CFO$, i like only one song by def rebel and that is "Hold Your Ground" which is acctually a recomposition of original music "Stand Strong" from APM Music Library.
I will give def rebel 5 out of 10.

What do you think guys.
Jerichoholic

Post by Jerichoholic »

I would give Johnston 10/10 but he made Problem Solver which is a short loop and loops are evil, so I'll give him :
Leaf

Post by Leaf »

Jerichoholic wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 12:16 pm I would give Johnston 10/10 but he made Problem Solver which is a short loop and loops are evil, so I'll give him :
I agree. That song haunts me to this day.
IAmNeomic

Post by IAmNeomic »

Gotta also remember that Jim was usually on very strict deadlines. He would often get calls on Monday morning saying "We need a song by showtime tonght" and would have an afternoon to kick something up.

Mikey Rukus has said the same thing happens to him sometimes, where he literally has a few hours to whip something up. Even the ROH guys would often make the themes on their laptop on the way to the show.
Jerichoholic

Post by Jerichoholic »

https://youtu.be/SbJJWra5B88

I hope Rukus isn't too hurt about Jim calling his work generic.
EddieK
Site Admin

Post by EddieK »

Jerichoholic wrote: April 28th, 2021, 2:43 am https://youtu.be/SbJJWra5B88

You wanna talk about a generic theme? Mustafa Ali's current theme like what is that supposed to be? It's so bad.
Leaf

Post by Leaf »

EddieK wrote: April 28th, 2021, 3:46 am

You wanna talk about a generic theme? Mustafa Ali's current theme like what is that supposed to be? It's so bad.
Move on.
Chris

Post by Chris »

I haven't listened to the interview, but I presume it's the same sort of JJ interview as normal, talking about the same classic themes while blasting today's music?
Jerichoholic

Post by Jerichoholic »

Chris wrote: April 28th, 2021, 11:20 am

I haven't listened to the interview, but I presume it's the same sort of JJ interview as normal, talking about the same classic themes while blasting today's music?
He said the music from def rebel and Rukus is bad. At the beginning he acts like he's very humbled by all the admiration fans are giving him but I can't help but feel like he's really full of himself. With that said, I do believe that his work was better, I just wish he was a little more subtle when he speaks about other composers. Especially Mikey Rukus who's a great guy who loves what he's doing and really listens to the fans.