A note regarding Kamala's famous 'Ugandan' theme

This is the place where I will post links to news, updates, lists, blogs, and more concerning Xylot Themes.
GodzFire

A note regarding Kamala's famous 'Ugandan' theme

Post by GodzFire »

A note regarding Kamala's famous 'Ugandan' theme. We know the tribal chants from his most famous theme comes from the first 2 minutes of the song "Sunny Earth" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqTijKt60A4) on the 1973 album "Earth" by Vangelis Papathanasiou.

However, there is a good chance these tribal chants are actually library/stock/production audio themselves, as the instrumentation behind the vocals in 'Sunny Earth' are not the same as what is heard on Kamala's theme. The vocals also aren't a clear and consistent volume on 'Sunny Earth' as they are on Kamala's theme. Finally, JJ has never directly used a mainstream's artist own work and mixed in his own instrumentation. That would be very close to copyright violation.

Seeing all JJ only used the tribal vocals it further makes me think it's library/stock/production audio. This would go along with the other times he's used those kinds of sounds and sfx to create a theme. This occurred with Skinner and the Godwinn's second theme; he used elements from the Sound Ideas library as the 'base'.

In summary, I'm fairly confident the tribal chants are out there somewhere on a library/stock/production release that's before 1973, which Jim used as a base for his song along with added instruments.
Alex

Re: A note regarding Kamala's famous 'Ugandan' theme

Post by Alex »

I completely agree that these chants are from a stock sound library. It might have been discontinued since, however. But I'm confident that we will find it one day.
bubbafan2

Post by bubbafan2 »

Godzfire, I think you're probably absolutely right about that. Kamala's theme has always been an enigma to me because of that fact; that JJ only uses stock effects or samples, yet there they are in a mainstream song.

I would love to help search for a discontinued production track, but I know little about doing so compared to many of the themers out there. If someone can point me in the right direction, I can give it a try. I know DeWolfe existed back then, but I don't know about any others.
TheImpCaiman

Post by TheImpCaiman »

I believe you are right too. I have Sunny Earth and I can hear the similarity in the chanting.
Nafip

Post by Nafip »

I asked a Vangelis fan site (http://elsew.com/) about this, here is their reply:

Hi,

Interesting. I don't exclude the possibility that the vocals on Earth come from some sort of stock source... On the other hand, Vangelis did lots of recording sessions with performers of tribal and traditional music. And Earth has been sampled many times. It's risky though, copyright-wise. It's certainly not a mainstream track, but yes, mainstream artist, backed by big labels and big punlishers.
I'll let you know if i happen to find out.
All my best,
Dennis
bubbafan2

Post by bubbafan2 »

Here's what I find interesting.
If you listen closely to Kamala's theme, you can hear the same drum beats behind the chanting that you hear in Sunny Earth (it's really hard to hear over the other drum track, but they're there). Plus, at around the 1:13 mark of Kamala's theme, there's one twang of an instrument (sitar?) heard in Sunny Earth, after which the chant sample loops.

So either these instruments are part of whatever production track the chant comes from...or the sample is taken directly from Sunny Earth.
According to Elsewhere (the fan site Nafip contacted), the Vangelis album Earth was out of print for many years, seeing its first CD release in 1996. Is it possible JJ could have sampled the actual song without there being any legal problems, considering its out-of-print status and relative obscurity? I don't know the answer, just throwing that out there.
Leaf

Post by Leaf »

I'm leaning towards Jim just getting it from a sample pack from around the time. There's tons of these before the Internet became the main tool for sample libraries. I'm pretty sure most of Jim's orchestral stems are just picked from samples packs, as I've heard them on songs from other media.

https://zero-g.co.uk/products/orchestral-flavours
https://archive.org/details/90ssamplecds
IAmNeomic

Post by IAmNeomic »

To me, it sounds like he just took "Sunny Earth" directly and mixed some instruments and samples over it. I don't think he necessarily got the chants from a stock library.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Are we sure Jim Johnston was involved in this theme ?
Mr. Awesome

Post by Mr. Awesome »

This theme is a mix of "Sunny Earth" and "Moyonga" and "Taka Chinja" (from "Roots!! - African Drums") :D . You can easily recreate this theme song.
bubbafan2

Post by bubbafan2 »

Mr. Awesome wrote: August 9th, 2020, 4:46 pm This theme is a mix of "Sunny Earth" and "Moyonga" and "Taka Chinja" (from "Roots!! - African Drums") :D . You can easily recreate this theme song.
Is that what the other tracks are?!? Then someone please post them ASAP and I’d be ecstatic to make a CDQ edit myself, unless someone else does it first

Edit: I went ahead and found the tracks on YouTube, and converted them to MP3. I’ve already started editing to see how everything is cobbled together, then I can replace them in the edit with the CDQ tracks if anyone can provide them.
BeDmAn

Post by BeDmAn »

Mr. Awesome wrote: August 9th, 2020, 4:46 pm This theme is a mix of "Sunny Earth" and "Moyonga" and "Taka Chinja" (from "Roots!! - African Drums") :D . You can easily recreate this theme song.
Wow thanks for the info! I hope someone can recreate his theme as well.

Edit:
Sunny Earth in FLAC
https://mega.nz/file/mh0UlQIA#IlZsX0C41 ... sioCj-AIeI

And credits go to The Chosen One for this one. Here is Taka Chinja in FLAC
https://mega.nz/file/VygVkYxB#cKKagwf4F ... zuZruzCNvY
Last edited by BeDmAn on August 9th, 2020, 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bubbafan2

Post by bubbafan2 »

Wow, awesome guys. I’ll see if I can get a lossless edit made tonight, but my time is limited so it might not be ready until tomorrow.
The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

... and then he died 😪
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

After 3.5 hours of work.......
Kamala - "Uganden Giant" (first time ever, full stereo mix)
[FLAC] Kamala Godz Stereo Mix Aug 10 A - https://www.sendspace.com/file/hnmmuy

The full information on the find for those who want it: Credit goes to Mr. Awesome from Xylot for finding this, but the pieces of Kamala's theme song besides 'Sunny Earth' has been found, on an old 1978 Japan LP from Denon called 'Roots! African Drums: National Percussion Group of Kenya (https://www.discogs.com/National-Percus ... se/2322433):
Piece 1, 'Moyonga' (intro vocals): https://youtu.be/KR3AwotBIik?t=167
Piece 2 'Taka Chinja' (drums/percussion): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfeZNsGtRfQ

It was a complete and utter bitch to try and sync, there was cuts and issues everywhere. I'm still not sure if the pieces are synced 100% perfect because the speed and pitch didn't match the version we have from WWF no matter what I did. This is what it looks like in Audition. I may also share the Audition session file with everyone so if they are able to get it better they can.
Agua Moose

Post by Agua Moose »

That's a great edit, GodzFire. Amazing work.

I'm always sceptical about apparent pitch and speed edits in these older themes. Bear in mind, they were often played from tapes that had been used repeatedly (some of which might have been second, third, etc. generation recordings). It's likely that some of what we heard in arenas had some degree of distortion. Isn't there even a theme available where you can faintly hear another theme bleeding through from the other side of the tape?
Alex

Post by Alex »

Agua Moose wrote: August 10th, 2020, 7:04 am That's a great edit, GodzFire. Amazing work.

I'm always sceptical about apparent pitch and speed edits in these older themes. Bear in mind, they were often played from tapes that had been used repeatedly (some of which might have been second, third, etc. generation recordings). It's likely that some of what we heard in arenas had some degree of distortion. Isn't there even a theme available where you can faintly hear another theme bleeding through from the other side of the tape?
You might be referring to the digital release of "Two By Four (Hacksaw Jim Duggan)" where another song can be heard at some points.
Agua Moose

Post by Agua Moose »

Alex wrote: August 10th, 2020, 8:54 am
Agua Moose wrote: August 10th, 2020, 7:04 am That's a great edit, GodzFire. Amazing work.

You might be referring to the digital release of "Two By Four (Hacksaw Jim Duggan)" where another song can be heard at some points.
You're right, that's the one. I know WWE haven't had great quality control on their digital releases but if that can make its way onto something they release for sale, I doubt the tapes in arenas were particularly well looked after.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Thanks to everyone who has found and shared these tracks for the benefit of others. It's always neat to see these sorts of updates on unknown themes, especially ones over 30 years old.

EDIT: So I was just going through and marking Kamala as deceased on all of his counts, and I notice on his UWF page we already have a theme listed that is a combination of "Sunny Earth" and "Moyonga". The date is about 4 months before the first date of usage in WWE.

https://xylotthemes.com/#!/themes/uwf/kamala

Is this the same theme that he used in WWE? Does this mean it wasn't created by WWE, or maybe it's a different edit of the songs that inspired WWE to make their own?