Slick and Junkyard Dog Themes

This is the place where I will post links to news, updates, lists, blogs, and more concerning Xylot Themes.
The Funker
Site Admin

Slick and Junkyard Dog Themes

Post by The Funker »

It turns out that Slick's "Jive Soul Bro" and Junkyard Dog's "Grab Them Cakes" are remakes of other songs.

Both originals are by Captain Chameleon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfIRBhpd3xU

Here is the information I have from the video:

Co-Produced by David Wolff of Cyndi Lauper and Rock n Wrestling Connection fame .... released in 1981 by Captain Chameleon is Jive Ol' Fo and also Grab Them Cakes. Released together on vinyl both would later be reproduced for the Junkyard Dog and Slick/Akeem.
Craig-UK

Re: Slick and Junkyard Dog Themes

Post by Craig-UK »

I thought this was old news, but then I have had a few private messages over the past months telling me again.
Every song apart from "Real American", "Hulk Hogan's Theme" and "Don't Go Messin' With A Country Boy" are covers or re-releases.

A 1. Land Of A Thousand Dances?!!? - The Wrestlers - is a cover of "Land of 1000 Dances" by Chris Kenner in 1962
A 2. Grab Them Cakes - Junk Yard Dog - as you have noted already is a cover of "Grab Them Cakes" by Captain Chameleon in 1981
A 3. Real American - by Derringer (Windham & Rotundo's Theme) - is an original for the album
A 4. Eat Your Hart, Out Rick Springfield - Jimmy Hart - was originally released as "Eat Your Heart Out, Rick Springfield" by Jimmy Hart in 1983
A 5. Captain Lou's History Of Music/ Captain Lou - Captain Lou Albano - was originally released as "Captain Lou" by NRBQ with Lou Albano in 1982
B 1. Hulk Hogan's Theme - The WWF All Stars - is an original for the album but later Bonnie Tyler (who helped write it) added lyrics to it and released it as "Ravishing" in 1986
B 2. For Everybody - "Rowdy" Roddy Piper - is a cover of "The World May Not Like Me" by Mike Angelo & The Idols in 1984, this song is also known as "Fuck Everybody"
B 3. Tutti Frutti - 'Mean' Gene Okerlund - is a cover of "Tutti-Frutti" by Little Richard in 1955
B 4. Don't Go Messin' With A Country Boy - Hillbilly Jim - is an original song for the album as far as I know.
B 5. Cara Mia - Nikolai Volkoff - is a cover of "Cara Mia" by David Whitfield in 1954

On Piledriver only "Jive Soul Bro" is a cover as you have noted.
BenSvR09

Re: Slick and Junkyard Dog Themes

Post by BenSvR09 »

On another note, "Captain Chameleon" is actually David Wolff under a pseudonym.