Official WWE Uncaged Album Discussion Thread

This is the place where I will post links to news, updates, lists, blogs, and more concerning Xylot Themes.
Raptor

Re: Official WWE Uncaged Album Discussion Thread

Post by Raptor »

As much as I like the conversations about UC, at this time I don't see WWE focussing on a new album is their priorities with everything happening within the company departments. But I would love to be surprised!
Chris

Post by Chris »

History has shown patterns mean nothing when it comes to the Uncaged series.

I personally believe (and this is pure baseless speculation) that back in 2020 they may have had a few future albums already planned out but then the plans for the series changed so they just released what they had ready all at once on XIV. To me it sort of makes sense especially when you consider multiple wrestlers had multiple themes on XIV that otherwise would have likely been released over the course of a few albums. It feels to me like they ultimately decided to treat us all to one last dump of Jim Johnston themes before quietly ending the series with a randomly dropped YouTube-only stream of an all-CFO$ XV.

I'm not saying we'll NEVER see another Uncaged album in the future, but to me, with how XIV and XV were done, I personally feel like we may have seen the last of the series for the foreseeable future.

(There are, of course, other possible reasons for why XIV and XV were handled as they were and why we haven't seen an album since, but this is just MY theory. Feel free to rip it apart as you see fit.)
NMMan

Post by NMMan »

Chris wrote: November 8th, 2021, 10:03 am History has shown patterns mean nothing when it comes to the Uncaged series.

I personally believe (and this is pure baseless speculation) that back in 2020 they may have had a few future albums already planned out but then the plans for the series changed so they just released what they had ready all at once on XIV. To me it sort of makes sense especially when you consider multiple wrestlers had multiple themes on XIV that otherwise would have likely been released over the course of a few albums. It feels to me like they ultimately decided to treat us all to one last dump of Jim Johnston themes before quietly ending the series with a randomly dropped YouTube-only stream of an all-CFO$ XV.

I'm not saying we'll NEVER see another Uncaged album in the future, but to me, with how XIV and XV were done, I personally feel like we may have seen the last of the series for the foreseeable future.

(There are, of course, other possible reasons for why XIV and XV were handled as they were and why we haven't seen an album since, but this is just MY theory. Feel free to rip it apart as you see fit.)
Actually, I'm on board with this theory and it sounds pretty plausible to me.
No one in WWE can hold a candle to what I can do, inside these FOUR ROPES.
Leaf

Post by Leaf »

Yes, Uncaged is complete.
Seanicho

Post by Seanicho »

Leaf wrote: November 8th, 2021, 11:35 am Yes, Uncaged is complete.
That’s a shame…
Roid Hogan

Post by Roid Hogan »

Glad I can sleep well at night knowing I’ll never be able to hear this theme in good quality: https://youtu.be/tRJXulrZUwc
EddieK
Site Admin

Post by EddieK »

Chris wrote: November 8th, 2021, 10:03 am History has shown patterns mean nothing when it comes to the Uncaged series.

I'm on board with this too.
TheImpCaiman

Post by TheImpCaiman »

In the wrestling business you never say "never". Nothing is ever a no in professional wrestling.

When it comes to the Uncaged series we've seen no pattern to indicate a release of any future albums by looking at how the past albums were released. Right now they are concentrating on all the def rebel music they've been giving us lately which is good. It shows they are giving their fan base what they want. Would they or could they revisit this series or start a new similar series? Possibly.

Christmas is just around the corner too. Maybe a little present to us fans could happen? Wishful thinking but never is not a word nor is done or complete in the world of professional wrestling.
Jerichoholic

Post by Jerichoholic »

That's right boys, don't stop believing.
bubbafan2

Post by bubbafan2 »

I am still holding out hope. There’s still so much JJ material to release. I’d be fine with a UCXIV-like 50-track dump around Christmas every year if that’s what they give us.

Still waiting for Bam Bam’s 80’s theme…and Islanders…and Powers of Pain…
TheImpCaiman

Post by TheImpCaiman »

It would be nice if either WWE Music / WWE would either release the rest via Uncaged again or another way or even better...it would be awesome if Jim Johnston could eventually regain the rights to all of his music and release them anyway. Wouldn't one of these scenarios be cool? Either way what happens it is at least good that we're getting some music but they are all very far apart though. For now we must be content on what we've gotten or will get and hope that some news of all the unreleased content drops again. Like everyone I too will be hopeful that one day more will drop. Never give up hope.
Seanicho

Post by Seanicho »

Were the person(s) responsible for putting the Uncaged albums together released during all these cuts within the past year?
Last edited by Seanicho on November 14th, 2021, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Seanicho wrote: November 14th, 2021, 5:41 pm We’re the person(s) responsible for putting the Uncaged albums together released during all these cuts within the past year?
I remember reading when they first started making cuts after the pandemic started that a lot of WWE employees, not just those named publicly, were let go and most departments have been pared down substantially. I'm sure there's someone else here who has more inside knowledge of what has/hasn't gone down in WWEMG, but I suspect they were just as much a victim of WWE's "budget cuts" as every other area of the company.

And it's been said before, there is virtually no chance of Jim Johnston getting the rights to all of his music made during his WWE tenure. It's a pipe dream at this point.
TheImpCaiman

Post by TheImpCaiman »

That is a possibility. As far as Jim regaining the rights to his works of music it is still possible. It would be a hard fought case much like how Victor Miller's case against Sean S. Cunningham for complete ownership of a series he didn't really come up with but he did write. Music is similar. After so many years the original owner or writer has complete legal ramifications to attempt to regain the rights of the music he or she wrote. If I read the music copyright law correctly after a certain time in this particular instance, Jim could take legal action to regain the rights of any music he has written for WWE and could possibly win the case based on the copyright law. Right now, yes WWE completely owns any and all music for a certain amount of time until at which time they have to retain the rights again.

What happened with Victory Miller and Sean S. Cunningham and Horror, Inc. was an example of how a copyright law could work. This was for a film series of course but every copyright law does have a time limit in which the owner must retain the rights again. Victory Miller wrote the original screenplay for Friday the 13th (1980) after Sean S. Cunningham gave him the ideas and character. Cunningham and Horror, Inc. who owns the rights to the Friday the 13th series stated that Victor Miller was only hired to write the screenplay and everything else was their idea. They are correct and also had Ron Kurz re-write some of the things they disliked about Miller's script. Well the copyright law sided in Victor Miller's case. They believed he created everything within the script including the title. The one thing Horror, Inc and Cunningham still retained was the Jason Voorhees character as he is not in the script at all. Jason was suggested by Tom Savini as a last minute jump scare to the audience after they had wrapped filming. The only mentions of Jason is said by Betsy Palmer in her speeches on his drowning. So this is a small example of how copyright laws could help or hurt the original owner of a creation of a screenplay, movie, novel or music composition. Yet as long as WWE keeps paying for the rights it will never revert back to Jim. It would be interesting to witness that battle if it ever did occur. Copyright laws are interesting to watch or read about.
TEOL

Post by TEOL »

Themetitan should just get Xylot membership and make his own.15 a month series. :lol:
Leaf

Post by Leaf »

TheImpCaiman wrote: November 17th, 2021, 8:45 pm That is a possibility. As far as Jim regaining the rights to his works of music it is still possible.
Nope.
TheImpCaiman

Post by TheImpCaiman »

Not to beat a dead horse but it is possible. WWE did not write the songs. Of course there is still a legality on the ownership up to a certain point of time especially if more than one party like in this case would be of where there are 2 parties that could possibly lay claim to the music work. Coming down to the law which is described in the paper in pretty accurate detail by the author in the link below in which I took the part of the law that points out how Jim could win. The songwriter / composer retains all legal rights to their music. There are some songs written by other people that many other artists have used. Michael Jackson had a lot of songs wrote for him by other composers who still own the legal rights to those pieces of works and can at any time ask them to be removed from sale.

In WWE's case they only own the right to sell the theme(s) as long as Jim would get his portion of the sale of said music. If at any time he wants his music to stop being used according to the actual law there are ways that he could since he is the original composer of said theme. WWE is not the 100% owner of the theme no matter what copyrights they own in which Jim could if wanted to get his original works back in his own possession and do whatever he wants with them. Just because WWE paid him to write these themes for them to use, just like in the case with Victor Miller who was paid by Sean S. Cunningham to write a script based on Cunningham's idea, the original creator still possesses all rights to their works. Just like in any law there are a lot of technicalities where WWE could still claim ownership of these themes too.

Copyright law is however the hardest laws to both prove and disprove for both parties. Either party could win in a copyright case no matter who really owns the materials.

https://cyber.harvard.edu/fallsem98/fin ... /Tada.html
Under current copyright law, the exclusive right to reproduce copyrighted works applies both to musical compositions and to sound recordings. The copyright owner of the musical composition -- the songwriters -- receives mechanical royalties for the reproduction and distribution of any recording of that composition.
NMMan

Post by NMMan »

It's my understanding that Jim created all of his themes for WWE under a work-for-hire agreement. According to the terms of a contract like that, even though he wrote the music for WWE, the company would retain all legal rights to publishing, exhibition, distribution, etc. Which if the case, was done by the company's design.
The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

NMMan wrote: November 29th, 2021, 3:29 pm It's my understanding that Jim created all of his themes for WWE under a work-for-hire agreement. According to the terms of a contract like that, even though he wrote the music for WWE, the company would retain all legal rights to publishing, exhibition, distribution, etc. Which if the case, was done by the company's design.
Which would also be why Jim himself can't sell his work that he created while working for WWE.
NMMan

Post by NMMan »

The Franchise wrote: November 29th, 2021, 3:32 pm
NMMan wrote: November 29th, 2021, 3:29 pm It's my understanding that Jim created all of his themes for WWE under a work-for-hire agreement. According to the terms of a contract like that, even though he wrote the music for WWE, the company would retain all legal rights to publishing, exhibition, distribution, etc. Which if the case, was done by the company's design.
Which would also be why Jim himself can't sell his work that he created while working for WWE.
Correct.